An “age-friendly city” is an inclusive and accessible community environment that optimizes opportunities for health, participation, and security for all people. In order that quality of life and dignity is ensured as people age. More specifically, in an age-friendly city, policies, services, settings, and structures support and enable people to age well by:
- Recognizing the wide range of capacities and resources among older people
- Anticipating and responding flexibly to aging-related needs and preferences
- Respect older people’s decisions and lifestyle choices
- Protecting those who are most vulnerable
- Promoting older people’s inclusion in, and contribution to, all areas of community life.